Tuesday 17 July 2012

Two felt projects and two Harris Tweed tunics

My granddaughters are teenagers now, and old enough to do their own thing, but they both had felt projects that they wanted to do so they came to the studio today. (It is school holidays)


Rachel wanted to try out some ideas for a task they have been set in the art class - to design and make a "head-piece".  Her idea was to make a big sunflower so we dug out the yellow fleeces along with some greens for the leaves and browns for the centre.  She started off needle-felting by hand, but as sunflowers have lots of petals, I got out one of the machines and that sped things up considerably.  She made lots of individual petals but left a bit of loose fibre on each so that these could all be felted together later to make the whole flower. - it took her about 3 hours, but I think it was very successful.


Lauren wanted to make a pair of slippers.  She had made a little pair of baby booties last year but this time she wanted some to fit her own feet.  She chose 4 bright pastel shades and started building up the layers around a piece of flooring vinyl that had been cut to the right shape. After a lot of rubbing and rolling she eventually got to the stage where she was able to start shaping them on her feet.  They have ended up a bit on the big side - but very pretty.


Before they came to the studio I had put the finishing touches to  two Harris Tweed tunics that I had made for Canongate Jerseys & Crafts in Edinburgh.  They are not part of my normal range, but I had made one for myself and was wearing it at a trade show.  Heather spotted me wearing it and asked if I would make some for her shop.  It remains to be seen how they do - but if you are interested, you can either call into her shop in Edinburgh, or email me for details.  I made one (olive green) as a size 12/14 and the other (grey) as a 16/18.  They are fully lined and have a zip fastening at the front.  While the felting making was underway the man from the couriers came to collect the box and they are off to Edinburgh along with some Hebridean Hoods, wide wraps, scarves and hats and another box of Shetland Angels.

No comments: